While at the official Game of Thrones Convention Sunday night, Kit Harington has talked about where the Game of Thrones ending left his character. While neither moderators Jason Concepcion and Greta Jonsen nor fans doing the Q&A broached the topic of the Jon Snow sequel series, Entertainment Weekly revealed that he had this to say.
During the controversial final season, Emilia Clarke’s Daenerys Targaryen went off the deep end by killing several innocent people in King’s Landing with her dragon. In order to stop another tyrant in the making, Jon ends up killing Daenerys, the woman he loves, before being banished to live out the rest of his days at the Wall in the North.
“I think if you asked him, he would’ve felt he got off lightly. At the end of the show when we find him in that cell, he’s preparing to be beheaded and he wants to be. He’s done. The fact he goes to the Wall is the greatest gift and also the greatest curse.”
Harington also said that in regard to where we leave Jon Snow in the finale, there’s always this feeling of wanting “some kind of little smile that things are okay.” Except he’s not okay. While this certainly isn’t an official announcement about the spin-off, it does offer fans an idea of the headspace Jon Snow will be in at the start of his new show.
“He’s gotta go back up to the place with all this history and live out his life thinking about how he killed Dany, and live out his life thinking about Ygritte [Rose Leslie] dying in his arms, and live out his life thinking about how he hung Olly [Brenock O’Connor], and live out his life thinking about all of this trauma, and that,” Harington paused for a brief moment before continuing. “That’s interesting.”
MOVIEWEB VIDEO OF THE DAY
RELATED: Game of Thrones’ Jon Snow Spin-Off: How Have Fans Reacted?
What Else We Know About the Show
HBO
Back in 2018, Harington was asked by BBC if he had any interest in revisiting the franchise and seemed definitive in his answer. “Not on your life,” were his exact words before citing how, going back to the pilot of Game of Thrones, he’s spent ten years of his life on the franchise. “That’s really unusual in an actor’s career.” Needless to say, he later changed his mind.
Earlier this year, The Hollywood Reporter was the first to confirm a sequel series to Game of Thrones about Jon Snow was in the early stages of development. Franchise creator George R.R. Martin confirmed that the report was valid on his blog days later and also revealed that the project’s working title was Snow.
Since then, Harington has said very little on what the show would be about—telling the Happy Sad Confused podcast in September that the only thing he’ll say is that he knows nothing about it. Adding that while Martin is allowed to talk, Harington would be speaking in riddles if he went any further.
“Yes, it was Kit Harington who brought the idea to us. I cannot tell you the names of the writers/showrunners, since that has not been cleared for release yet… but Kit brought them in too, his own team, and they are terrific.” Martin wrote at the time.